Thursday 21 June 2012

new birks

I finally got some much needed birkenstocks! Its been years since I've had a new pair and the past few summers I've been getting by on knock offs or pretty but less walkable sandals and man, does it feel good to have some practical shoes back in rotation! I will never be getting knock offs again, they are not even close to as good!

In other news, I had a lovely patio party with some of my social work friends last night. It was my first time having this circle of friends over and it turned out to be a lovely time. I had planned to serve an almond cake with balsamic strawberries and ice cream but my cake burnt due to me awful oven (this oven has ruined many a good dessert). I also served veggie kebabs though and they were a big hit. I made my dear friend Gillian's famous Sangria and that was also very well received. Over all it was a great night, we may have waken the neighbours being loud and talkative on our porch but oh well! It was nice to hang out with my friends without the stress of school looming over us, everyone seems much more relaxed and at ease.

Today some friends and I went to a lake nearby and soaked in some sun. We've been having some lovely weather lately and it felt so good to be in the wilderness, even if there was a highway a few kms away. We even went swimming, which was so refreshing! I can't wait to bring Alex and show him this gem of a spot.

Heres Gillian's famous Sangria recipe:



Liquids:
1 bottle of white wine (preferably Sauvignon Blanc)
1 bottle of peach schnapps
1 bottle of gingerale

Fruit:
1 cored pineapple, cut up into 1.5 inch pieces
I pint of raspberries
2 or 3 kiwis cut up
1 large pint or 2 smaller pints of strawberries (preferably when in season!) cut in half's or quarters depending on their size.

First cut up all the fruit and place it in a large pitcher. Then add a few ice cubes, about a third of the peach schnapps, half of the white wine and as much gingerale as will fill the pitcher. Stir and let the drink sit in the fridge for around 10-15 minutes before serving! When serving, make sure you scoop some fruit into everyone's drinks for a yummy treat at the end! Once the first batch is done, continue adding more peach schnapps, wine and gingerale with the old fruit until you are content.

And there you have it, the best (in my opinion) white wine Sangria there is! I think I may have drank a little bit too much last night...

2 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about Birkenstock! It's been years since I got a pair! Thank you for reminding me :D

    ReplyDelete